Steve Hoberman’s Data Modelling Master Class
Best Practices Approach to Developing a Competency in Data Modeling
The Master Class is a complete data modeling course, containing three days of practical techniques for producing conceptual, logical, and physical relational and dimensional and NoSQL data models. After learning the styles and steps in capturing and modeling requirements, you will apply a best practices approach to building and validating data models through the Data Model Scorecard®.
You will know not just how to build a data model, but how to build a data model well. Two case studies and many exercises reinforce the material and will enable you to apply these techniques in your current projects.
Top 10 Objectives
- Explain data modeling components and identify them on your projects by following a question-driven approach
- Demonstrate reading a data model of any size and complexity with the same confidence as reading a book
- Validate any data model with key “settings” (scope, abstraction, timeframe, function, and format) as well as through the Data Model Scorecard®
- Apply requirements elicitation techniques including interviewing, artefact analysis, prototyping, and job shadowing
- Build relational and dimensional conceptual and logical data models, and know the trade offs on the physical side for both RDBMS and NoSQL solutions
- Practice finding structural soundness issues and standards violations
- Recognize when to use abstraction and where patterns and industry data models can give us a great head start
- Use a series of templates for capturing and validating requirements, and for data profiling
- Evaluate definitions for clarity, completeness, and correctness
- Leverage the Data Vault and enterprise data model for a successful enterprise architecture